- Photo by: Guide Aimee Barnes
The City of Rocks is a high desert area of granite spires and cliffs in south central Idaho. An enchanting climbing area of world renown, the City boasts numerous classic climbs in the moderate range as well as testpieces up to 5.12 and above. The area, which is off the beaten path, has a relaxed ambience, the climbing is really fun, and all of our guides have enjoyed climbing there on personal trips! It is highly recommended for all ability levels, and is a suitable place for families and kids. A great weekend destination, the City is only three hours from Salt Lake City.
The excellent and varied climbing is characterized by cracks, slabs, and steep featured faces, and demands a full arsenal of techniques from the climber. The climbs are from one to several pitches in length, and have both bolt and removable protection. It is a great place to expand one’s repertoire of climbing skills, learn to lead, and practice multi-pitch technique.
This awesome camp is headed up by our very own Aimee Barnes, who has been a fixture in the City for decades. One only needs to review the local guidebook to get an picture of the knowledge that Aimee has about the City of Rocks. This 3 Day – 4 night camp will expose all levels to the incredible climbing of the City of Rocks while introducing them to the technical and movement skills required to enjoy this geological marvel.
Opening day we will meet between after 1:00 p.m. at City of Rocks Camp site #23
Opening day, City of Rocks campsites
- Set up camp
- 5;30 Meet and greet
- 6:00 ground school
- 7:00 PM Appetizers
- 7:45 Dinner
Schedule for days 2 & 3
- 6:00 am – Hot Water and Coffee Served
- 8:00 am- Personal Breakfast
- 9:00 am- Off to the base of crag to begin day of climbing.
- 12:00 PM- Personal Lunch
- 5:30 PM- Coil up the ropes
- 6:30 PM- Saturday night Dinner in Almo. After dinner Hot Springs. Sunday: Appetizers and Dinner
- For more information follow the link below.
Price: $875 per person 3 Days 4 nights
Price $1225 Per Person 4 Days 4 nights
Price includes: Three to one guide to guest ratio. Camp site, Dinners. Group kitchen set up. Morning Coffee and Tea bar.
June 9, 10,11, 12 2017
The City of Rocks is located in South Central Idaho near Almo, and while the roads are dirt, they can be negotiated by low clearance vehicles. It is about 5 hours from Jackson to the City, and about 3 hours from Salt Lake. In Almo, there are a few accommodations options, as well as car camping.VIEW PDF
The City of Rocks is a high desert area, with climbs between 6000 -7000 feet in elevation. Thus, spring storms can bring wind, snow or rain, while summer temperatures can be in the 100 degrees F range during hot spells. When packing, please do not omit layers, as weather may change suddenly. The climbs are on a variety of aspects, so one can find or avoid sun as necessary. Summer heat makes hydration a critical issue.
City of Rocks is at 7000 feet, which means you should expect to encounter all of the seasons in one day. In terms of clothing, we recommend bringing an assortment of layers. JHMG can provide all technical equipment: harness, helmets, rappelling devices, carabineers, and more, please just inform the office in advance of your trip of your needs.
Have gear questions? We’re here to help! Contact us at 307.733.4979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Synthetic Top – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Wicked Lite T
- Synthetic Bottoms – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Wicked Lite Bottom
- Synthetic Socks
- Warm Hat: fit under helmet
- Warm Gloves
- Puffy Jacket- Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Jacket
- Wind Jacket- Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Chockstone Jacket
- Rain Jacket – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Plasmic Jacket
- Rain Pants – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Plasmic Pant
- Loose Fitting Climbing Pants – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Chockstone Pant
WARM WEATHER LAYERS
- T- Shirt Long Sleeve and Short Sleeve
- Sun Hat
- Durable Approach Shoes – Guide Pick: Salewa Foxfire Pro
- Climbing Shoes
- 35 to 40 Liter Back Pack – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Hueco 35 Liter Pack
- Two Liters of Water
- Lip Balm
- Extra Contact Lens/Prescription Glasses
- Small First Aid Kit
If you have your own climbing equipment please bring it. If you do not have the below equipment – we can provide it.
- Climbing Shoes
- Belay Device
- Three Locking Carabiners
- 4 Shoulder-Length Slings
- Chalk Bag
- Roll of 2 Inch Athletic Tape
If you are camping with us, you need to bring the following items:
- Insulated Cup
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad
- JHMG will provide the group gear: Stove, Fuel Pots, Pans, Cooking Utensils, 5 gallon water containers.
You will need to bring your own lunches and personal beverages. You will need to make arrangements with your guide and the office for breakfast and dinners along with any dietary food needs and allergies.VIEW PDF
Talk To Us
Here you’ll find online tools and information about joining us for a trip of a lifetime! To sign up for a trip, or if you have any questions, please call us. Listed on the left side of these pages are links that you may find useful, including printable forms and policies concerning a trip with JHMG. We encourage ALL prospective climbers to read our Preparation advice. Our office can help place you with others who are looking to climb.