Single Day Summer Climb List
For your safety and comfort, bring synthetic and or natural fiber clothing for insulation. Cotton is NOT recommended and down must be kept dry. Clothing should be able to layer without encumbering your movement.
Objective Dependent – Salewa footwear is available at Jackson Hole Mountain Guides for rent. JHMG also carries a selection of Five Ten Rock shoes for rent.
- Sticky Rubber Approach Shoes or Hiking Boots. Trips before mid July and those with extensive snow require a lightweight mountaineering boot (not a plastic boot). Guide Pick: Salewa Mountain Trainer or Salewa Firetail
- Rock Shoes for technical rock routes
- Socks: 1 – 2 pair: sized for your boots and blister prevention
- Synthetic/Wool Long Underwear Top
- Synthetic T-shirt – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Wicked Light T
- Insulating Jacket: lightweight down or synthetic – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Jacket, Zonal Jacket, Compressor Jacket
- Soft Shell: fleece or pile
- Rain Jacket: waterproof/breathable with hood. Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Plasmic or Epic Jacket
- Synthetic/Wool Long Underwear Bottom
- Hiking Short or Pant for approach – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Men’s Mesa, Women’s Corsica convertible pants
- Synthetic Climbing Pant – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Chockstone Pant
- Rain Pant – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Plasmic Pant
- Hat: lightweight to medium weight warm hat – sleek enough to be worn under a helmet
- Gloves: one lightweight to medium weight pair – synthetic or fleece material. If snow route, shell also recommended.
- Gaiters: only until mid-July
On the Trail
- Back Pack: internal frame 35 Liter capacity (2000 cu in) Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Via Rapida 35
- Water Bottles (2-3 L/Qt.) Or H2O Hydration system
- Dark Sunglasses
- Extra Pair Contact Lens
- Sun Hat or visor
- Sunscreen (35+SPF)
- Lip Balm
- Insect Repellent (until early August)
- Headlamp, Fresh batteries
- First Aid: minimal – blister care, analgesic, etc.
- Lunch and Snacks
- Bear Spray (if advised)
- Trekking Poles
Cold Weather Considerations:
Early and late season temperatures require warmer clothing. You may consider additional clothing if you get cold easily or if it is unusually cold or windy.
- Down Jacket
- Medium weight long underwear
**Jackson Hole Mountain Guides supplies all the rock climbing gear, harnesses, helmets, locking carabiners & belay/rappel devices, crampons, and ice axes. However, you are welcome to bring your own equipment. Please coordinate with our office for gear checks. Backpacks, rock shoes, and boots can all be rented & purchased in our Jackson office.
For a printable version of this list, please click below:View PDF