Colorado is well known for its high snowy peaks and expansive views. Rocky Mountain National Park offers the Backcountry Skier and Rider incredible terrain and amazing access. We at Jackson Hole Mountain Guides live for backcountry skiing and riding the Rocky Mountains. You can rest assured that any one of our guides that you go out with will have intimate knowledge of the terrain, the snow pack and the daily weather patterns to help choose the perfect backcountry tour for that day. Our guides work in these mountains year round and tend to know many of the runs and summits that most folks are not aware of. It takes years and years to become familiar with the range and knowing multiple options and tours for all conditions and weather and this is something that we truly pride our self on. We offer custom trips for novice to expert skiers and riders and will help you select objectives in line with your ability and enthusiasm. Join one of our experienced guides for a day of untracked powder, solitude and exercise. Our backcountry tours span from gladed tree skiing during low visibility days to scenic summits and high mountain traverses and everything in between. Get a group together or join us for a private day out for some of the most beautiful backcountry touring terrain in the states!
Arguably the best value in The Front Range! This adventure requires no $100 lift ticket or I-70 traffic jams and pairs you with one of the most experienced backcountry guides in the industry. An unparalleled experience for intermediate to advanced backcountry skiers and riders. The day starts early in Estes Park for a quick gear check as well as a quick avalanche beacon refresher. From there the group will head into Rocky Mountain National Park where we will quickly get into touring mode and start stretching the legs for the uphill ascent. Options like The Banana Bowl and Hidden Valley offer guests amazing introductory terrain, while The Dream Chutes, The South Face of Hallett and Tyndal Gorge gives more advanced riders opportunity to test themselves. Expect to get in 2000-5000 vertical feet during your tour. You can also expect these days to run about 6-8 hours. Because of scheduling, these trips cannot be booked directly online. Please click here to inquire about specific dates for your adventure.
Ski some of Rocky Mountain National Park’s famous couloirs and plush descents, such as the prominent on Dragon’s Tail or the Dead Elk to name a couple. These tours are for advanced skiers and riders only. Expect to get in 3500-65000 vertical feet. You can also expect these days to run about 7-9 hours in total beginning early in the morning. Because of scheduling, these trips cannot be booked directly online. Please click here to inquire about specific dates for your adventure.
- Top Long Sleeve Synthetic: medium to expedition weight long underwear Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Butterman 1/2 zip
- Soft Shell or Fleece Jacket Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear 32 Degree Jacket
- Shell Jacket with hood. Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Cloudseeker Jacket
- Puffy Jacket: Hood Recommended. Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Ghostwhisperer Jacket
- Bottom Synthetic or Wool Long Underwear Bottoms Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Butterman Tight
- Shell Pant: full side zips and built-in gaiters Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Highball Pant
- Socks: Synthetic or wool. Sized for your boots and blister protection. Liners recommended.
HEAD AND HANDS
- Gloves 3 pair: 1 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy pair Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Cyclone GTX Glove
- Hat: medium weight ski hat
- Hat: baseball or visor for sun
- Buff/neck gaiter
- Back Pack: 30 to 40 Liter ski pack, Guide Pick: Mammut Pro Short Removable Airbag System Backpack
- Water & Food: Thermos or insulated water bottles are best. Lot’s of snacks.
- Sunglasses/ Sunglass Case
- Ski Goggles
- Extra Prescription Glasses/Contact Lens
- Sunscreen/Lip balm
- Headlamp-Extra batteries
SKI/SNOWBOARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE BACKCOUNTRY (Packages available for rent at JHMG)
- Boots: Alpine Touring, Telemark, or Snowboarding Boots
- Skis or Splitboard with compatible binding for boots
- Climbing Skins (fit to skis)
- Ski Poles
- Helmet (optional)
SNOW SAFETY EQUIPMENT (REQUIRED and available for rent at JHMG)
- Transceiver Guide Pick:Mammut Barryvox S
- Shovel Guide Pick: Mammut Alugator Twist shove
- Probe Guide Pick: Mammut Fastlock Probe 240
Talk To Us
Here you’ll find online tools and information about joining us for a trip of a lifetime! To sign up for a trip, or if you have any questions, please call us. Listed on the left side of these pages are links that you may find useful, including printable forms and policies concerning a trip with JHMG. We encourage ALL prospective climbers to read our Preparation advice. Our office can help place you with others who are looking to climb.