Discover some of the hidden gems of the Red Rock Nation Conservation Area by climbing to the top of one of the beautiful summits of the Red Rock. Juniper Peak, Whiskey Peak, Cactus Flower Tower, or Mt.Wilson are all great climbs to get to a summit and enjoy some of the best views the Red Rock has to offer.
The day starts early and depending on the summit will end late. Summit route will be decided with your guide based on experience. Pricing should say something like- Price based on expected route time for a given summit. Rates start at $360 for a full day and $230 for a half day. Inquire within for pricing.
For your safety and comfort, bring synthetic and or natural fiber clothing for insulation. Cotton is NOT recommended and down must be kept dry. Clothing should be able to layer without encumbering your movement.
Objective Dependent – Salewa footwear is available at Jackson Hole Mountain Guides for rent. JHMG also carries a selection of Five Ten Rock shoes for rent.
- Sticky Rubber Approach Shoes or Hiking Boots. Trips before mid July and those with extensive snow require a lightweight mountaineering boot (not a plastic boot). Guide Pick: Salewa Wildfire Pro or Salewa Firetail 3
- Rock Shoes for technical rock routes (Available for rent)
- Socks: 1 – 2 pair: sized for your boots and blister prevention
- Synthetic/Wool Long Underwear Top. Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Butterman 1/2 zip
- Synthetic T-shirt – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Metonic Short Sleeve
- Insulating Jacket: lightweight down or synthetic – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Dynotherm Down Jacket
- Soft Shell/ Wind Jacket. Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Super Chockstone Jacket
- Rain Jacket: waterproof/breathable with hood. Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Quasar Lite or Exponent Jacket
- Synthetic/Wool Long Underwear Bottom Guide Pick: Mountain Hrdwear Butterman Tight
- Hiking Short or Pant for approach – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Chockstone short
- Synthetic Climbing Pant – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Toren Pant
- Rain Pant – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Exponent Pant
- Hat: lightweight to medium weight warm hat – sleek enough to be worn under a helmet
- Gloves: one lightweight to medium weight pair – synthetic or fleece material. Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Plasmic Glove
- Gaiters: only until mid-July
On the Trail
- Back Pack: internal frame 30 Liter capacity (2000 cu in) Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Scrambler 30
- Water Bottles (2-3 L/Qt.) Or H2O Hydration system
- Dark Sunglasses
- Extra Pair Contact Lens
- Sun Hat or visor
- Sunscreen (35+SPF)
- Lip Balm
- Insect Repellent (until early August)
- Headlamp, Fresh batteries
- First Aid: minimal – blister care, analgesic, etc.
- Lunch and Snacks
- Trekking Poles
Cold Weather Considerations:
Early and late season temperatures require warmer clothing. You may consider additional clothing if you get cold easily or if it is unusually cold or windy.
- Down Jacket
- Medium weight long underwear
**Jackson Hole Mountain Guides supplies all the rock climbing gear, harnesses, helmets, locking carabiners & belay/rappel devices, crampons, and ice axes. However, you are welcome to bring your own equipment. Please coordinate with our office for gear checks. Backpacks, rock shoes, and boots can all be rented & purchased in our Jackson office.
For a printable version of this list, please click below:
Our Red Rock office is located at 8221 West Charleston Boulevard, Suite 102, inside Desert Rock Sports. Las Vegas Airport is the closest and cheapest airport we recommend to clients. If you have any questions or would like more information, please call our Las Vegas office at 702-254-0885 or email Redrock@jhmg.com.VIEW PDF
Talk To Us
Here you’ll find online tools and information about joining us for a trip of a lifetime! To sign up for a trip, or if you have any questions, please call us. Listed on the left side of these pages are links that you may find useful, including printable forms and policies concerning a trip with JHMG. We encourage ALL prospective climbers to read our Preparation advice. Our office can help place you with others who are looking to climb.