- Photo by: Aimee Barnes
Kids Rock class is a full day of top-roping and climbing for kids 5 – 12. Everyone learns a few simple knots, how to belay a climber, and techniques for moving on rock. The emphasis is on safety, climbing and fun. Please note: Kids 5-12 must have a parent/guardian attending or participating.
JHMG has specific class locations for young kids (ages 5-9) and families. For example, in Grand Teton National Park we go to a special place called “Boulder Town”. The approach is short and the climbing takes place in a lovely, shady location with lots of huge, house-size boulders. We can make prior arrangements to meet your family at the parking area for Boulder Town if you are staying at a lodge or resort within Grand Teton National Park or Yellowstone. For kids 9-12 we go to an area called Curtis Canyon.
KIDS ROCK class locations: Jackson, Cody, Moab, City of Rocks, Red Rocks, Boulder and elsewhere!
Our Kids Rock class is a full day of top-roping and climbing for kids 5-12, Everyone learns a few simple knots, how to belay a climber, and techniques for moving on rock. The emphasis is on safety, climbing and fun. This class requires a parent/guardian attending or participating.
If, after the initial Basic Class your young climber wants to come back he or she can sign up for another Basic Class or move on to an Intermediate (described below) depending upon space availability and scheduling.
Intermediate class is the prerequisite for climbing multi-pitch routes, such as the Grand Teton. This is the logical next step for middle school aged kids and older children who want to learn more about how to safely rock climb.
This class requires a parent/guardian attending or participating.
Kids Rock Basic/ Intermediate: $350 private; $175 pp for 2/ $150 for a group of 3 or more
Climbing Adults are charged at the group rate of $195 per adult. Non-Climbing adults are no-charge.
Rock climbing shoe rental is $10 per pair.
This class is offered in multiple locations, for additional travel and accommodations information, please contact our office at info[at]jhmg.com.
- Approach, Hiking, Running Shoes
- Technical Rock Shoes (available to rent, please cal the office if you have not already made reservations)
- Socks: 1 pair
- Short Sleeve Shirt: Guide Pick Mountain Hardwear Metonic
- Fleece or Lightweight Insulating Jacket Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear A-therm Jacket
- Lightweight Wind Shell- Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Ghost Lite Jacket
- Lightweight Rain Shell- Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Quasar lite II
- Synthetic loose fitting pant Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Super Castil Convertible Pant
- Synthetic Loose Fitting Shorts Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Castil Cargo Short
- Rain Pants- Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Exponet Pant
- Backpack: 30-40 Liter – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Scrambler 30
- Sun hat: baseball or full brimmed
- Water : water bottles/hydration bladder are best
- Food: energy bars, fruit, sandwich, bring enough
- Sunscreen/Lip Balm
Mountain Weather can change on a dime. It is important to be prepared for any eventuality of weather. If you are unsure about conditions do not hesitate to contact the office at 307-733-4979 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Jackson Hole Mountain Guides provides all technical climbing equipment including:
- Belay devices
Technical rock shoes are available for rent. Please contact our office for availability.
Talk To Us
Here you’ll find online tools and information about joining us for a trip of a lifetime! To sign up for a trip, or if you have any questions, please call us. Listed on the left side of these pages are links that you may find useful, including printable forms and policies concerning a trip with JHMG. We encourage ALL prospective climbers to read our Preparation advice. Our office can help place you with others who are looking to climb.