Learn to climb in the Red Rock! This climbing mecca is just minutes from downtown Las Vegas. With it’s warm weather spectacular sandstone, the Red Rock offers some of the best beginner terrain in the country. Jackson Hole Mountain Guides has nearly 40 years of experience, guiding and instructing clients in every discipline of rock climbing. Offering courses for the beginner to advanced climber, JHMG can also design special programs for corporate groups or private clubs.
Season Year Round
If you have never climbed or just want to brush up your basic skills, this class is for you. During this introduction to rock climbing you will learn basic climbing terminology and commands, knots, belay and rope skills, be introduced to protection and anchor systems and learn the fundamentals of climbing technique and movement. Once you experience life in the vertical world, you will be hooked!
Building on the skills taught in Basic Climbing, this course gives you the tools necessary to bring your climbing to the next level. You will be introduced to and practice the climbing techniques needed to complete longer and more difficult routes, while refining your belay, rope and anchor building skills.
Designed for the experienced climber, this course will prepare you for lead and multi-pitch climbing while teaching techniques for “working” difficult routes, more advanced climbing movement and other advanced climbing skills.
Introduction to Climbing: Price: $370 private; $185 pp/group
Intermediate Climbing Classes: $370 private; $185 pp/group
Advanced Climbing Classes (maximum-2 clients): $390 private; $225 pp/group
Because of scheduling, these classes cannot be booked online. Please click here to inquire about specific dates and pricing for your class.
Group pricing is for 2 – 3 people on a trip. Please note that trips must reach minimum # of people.
Please read through our policies by visiting this page.
Our Red Rock office is located at 8221 West Charleston Boulevard, Suite 102, inside Desert Rock Sports. Las Vegas Airport is the closest and cheapest airport we recommend to clients. If you have any questions or would like more information, please call our Las Vegas office at 702-254-0885 or email Redrock@jhmg.com.VIEW PDF
- Sticky Rubber Approach Shoes, running shoes or hiking shoes: Guide Pick: Salewa Wildfire Pro GTX
- Technical Rock Shoes
- Socks: 2 pair – preferably wool
- Synthetic T-shirt – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Wicked Light T (light in color)
- Fleece or lightweight down sweater – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Microchill Fleece
- Lightweight Wind Shell – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Chockstone Jacket
- Rain Jacket: waterproof/breathable with hood. Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Plasmic Jacket
- Synthetic Climbing Pant – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Chockstone Midweight Active Pant
- 30-40 Liter – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Scrambler 30
- Sun Hat – Baseball of full brimmed
- Water – Water bottles or hydration bladder
- (May-Sept) Minimum 3 Liters
- (Nov-April) Minimum 2 Liters
- Food: Energy Bars, fruit, sandwiches, trail mix. Bring Enough!
- Sunscreen/ Lip balm
- Headlamp (For long routes)
- Warm Weather – (May-Sept) The sun is intense and hydration is vital!. Hydrate the night before your climb/ hike. Consider freezing your water bottles or putting ice in them. Light colored and loose fitting clothes will help keep you cool.
- Cold Weather – (Nov-April) Bring gloves and a warm hat that will fit under your helmet. Bring extra layers like long underwear and a heavier winter jacket to keep warm when the sun ducks behind clouds of dips below the canyon walls.
Jackson Hole Mountain Guides supplies all the rock climbing gear, harnesses, helmets, locking carabiners & belay/rappel devices. However, you are welcome to bring your own equipment. Please contact our office for gear questions. Rock shoes can be rented at JHMG.
For a printable version of this list, please click below:VIEW PDF
Is Red Rock a State Park or a National Park?
Do I have to pay a fee to get into Red Rock?
Does JHMG provide transportation and will you pick us up and drop us off back down on the Strip?
How far is Red Rock from the Strip?
Is it always hot and sunny in Red Rock?
Talk To Us
Here you’ll find online tools and information about joining us for a trip of a lifetime! To sign up for a trip, or if you have any questions, please call us. Listed on the left side of these pages are links that you may find useful, including printable forms and policies concerning a trip with JHMG. We encourage ALL prospective climbers to read our Preparation advice. Our office can help place you with others who are looking to climb.